Friday 4 March 2016

End of Week 1

I can hardly believe a whole week has flown by so quickly!

So after my hard first day, day 2 was even harder, as you would expect the muscles started to complain, especially after being hit with a 4.30 start, which is really 4.15 as 'shala time' is 15 minutes early.

There are a few aspects of this unearthly hour I really love, it's very quite, calm and cooler. The shala has a lovely calm energy about it, all you can hear is the ocean like sound of the ujayi breath.
Saraswathi comes in a little after us and we have the opening prayer with her, which I am hoping to learn by next week, although it is becoming familiar already.

As for practice, well apart from wishing the series didn't have so many bleepin' vinyasas (read chattaranga specifically) I am really enjoying it. I am moving further and deeper and am happy to have assists from Saraswathi and her assistants in Marichyasana B, C and even an attempt at D.

I'm wondering if both belly and boobs* are hindering the elusive twist in D, and I also do not enjoy the twist in twisted extended side angle (Parivrta Parsvakonasana) it feels like I can't breath calmly and steadily.

*both of mine, whilst a dress size 10, are considered 'large' in Ashtanga terms....but more on this another day.

A few points of note from practice this week - I'm trying to stay focused and leave ego out of the shala, I think I am doing quite well, I can relate this feeling to being a beginner surfer and seeing all the people 'out the back' catching and ripping every wave. Everyone has to start somewhere. Sometime in the line up, especially when I was in Indonesia, or even Putsborough, I felt like I didn't belong and I was getting in the way.
Well I feel a little like this, but then I 'have a word with myself' and think, who cares? everyone is probably so hung up in their own insecurities to worry I am not in the right place and I am only here doing doing this to deepen my practice, learn at the source from one of the Guru's and be able to use the experience to enhance my teaching.  (not to prove anything to anyone)

Today is a rest day, and my body is ready for that rest. We have conference in a short while with Sharath, so this will be the first day I see him 'in the flesh' !!! I am really looking forward to this experience.
Tomorrow is lead class so that will be another new experience and then Monday back to 4.30am practice.

So many things to love about Ashtanga, specifically Mysore style, but I will have to post this another time, including my thoughts on chanting, so for now I will leave you with a picture of the sunsetting last night as I haven't had the time or inclination to take any yoga selfies yet!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment