Sunday 13 March 2016

Week Two Ashtanga practice

As week two closed I have moved on one posture to navasana, and in fact having a little go in Bujupindasana too (but not quite there)

Knee pain returned this week. Apparently this comes from a tightness in the hips and is probably not related to my old injury which caused some osteoporosis.
But by Friday it was agony to even bend my knee. So, of course I refer to my physio, Dr.Google and can find many articles on this. So, after reading some articles, in particular this one - link to article elephant journal I have decided to take heed to these words:

'Progression is not the attainment of the posture. It’s the deepening of your understanding of the process. It’s your relationship to the process. It’s your state of being and presence on the mat'

The words resonate with me, and this is something that I will try to remember, when I get stressed on the mat because of physical pain that is hindering my progression. I will remember that there is something that I need to understand and work through and to stay present on the mat. I never would have expected to complete the primary series whilst here, and in fact have got further than I imagined in two weeks and at one point on Friday I felt quite low and sad about this. I'm pretty sure that this is because of the ego, and that I want to be able to learn as much as I can whilst here. And also to continue my practice when I leave Mysore until I can complete the wholes series (luckily after Supta Konoasana I find it all physically achievable!)

So there we are, no great philosophical ramblings today, just an update on where I'm at, and a reminder from Sharath in conference that the asanas (postures) are only there so that the mind can be steadied and calmed to prepare you for pranayama and ultimately meditation. 

not my knee! picture taken also from Elephant Journal 

1 comment: