Sunday 6 March 2016

The Castor Oil Bath Experience

I think this treatment deserves a whole post to itself!

So I had read about the famous Castor Oil Baths in various blogs and guides to Mysore, so I was keen to have one and wanted it for the end of my first week of practice. This is an ancient Ayurvedic treatment.



The house that offers this right by the main shala has a calm reception area to wait and get a little nervous, as my friends had given a breakdown of what was about to happen, and it didn't sound like it was a pampering relaxation massage like the ones you get in spas at home...

The 'music' being piped through is this man chanting quite a slow wail, but it becomes strangely hypnotic quite quickly.My friend came out of the treatment room and her description was 'wierdly amazing' and I think that is quite the definition of the experience.

So, now into the dark treatment room, where two tiny ladies are there to great me, they ask me to take my clothes off, then place what can only be described as a loin cloth (really its a piece of string with some tissue paper tied to it) on me and ask me to sit down on a stool covered in a cloth. Then one of them starts on me....castor oil is dripped onto my scalp and she starts working it through my hair, then onto what we know in the UK as an Indian head massage, then down to the shoulders, back and front of arms. Whilst not a deep massage they are really working it into the skin and it feels relaxing.

Next, asked to hop onto the wooden table/bench, which s made of very old piece of sandalwood, they then place foam cushions under your arms and legs at the joints and a pillow under your head, then pour more, hot castor oil on you whilst the pair of them simultaneously start massaging it in, from the very tips of the toes to the neck they work in total unison to ensure that no spot is missed! It's amazing how they work in total sync with each other, and it seems to go on forever, up and down, toes are pulled and fingers twisted, then you move onto your front and the back of the body is covered in yet more oil, this goes on for a lifetime, it feels so luxurious and pampering I have never felt so attended to!

I get asked to turn over again, by this time the table is swimming in oil and this makes for a humorous attempt at turning over, the ladies have to hold on to me so I don't slip right off the table!
The front of the body gets another once over, and then they help me down and usher me into the steam box for a steam, followed by a slow dry off and rub down to make sure the excess oil comes off and not all over your clothes.

The ladies are so lovely, they give me big hugs when I leave like we are old friends (well they do know me more intimately than any of my friends by this point!!) and I am taken back to reception where I am given a rose tea and asked to sit and rest before walking (read floating) home.

Now, when I was told the price at booking of 1,700 rupees (about £17) I thought this was quite expensive for India, however I would have paid twice that for this experience like no other. It was an absolute bargain, all in all I was in there for almost 2 hours.

The treatment is meant to detoxify and purify and also relaxes any muscular tension. I'm sure it has done all that and more, and my skin feels so soft and supple.

If you are coming to Mysore, this is a must do - I can't say enough good things about it. Also it is recommended that you can do this to yourself to get the same benefits, however it must be said the luxury of having a four handed massage has to be experienced. My treatment was at Swastha, in Gokulum, however I have heard very good things about the Three Sisters too.


Try it! you won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment